Spring 2014 Classes
Thank you for your interest in OLLI Spring 2014 classes! The newly designed website for OLLI at the University of Nevada, Reno is under construction — please bear with us! Until the new site is ready, please view classes in the Spring 2014 catalog and OLLI At a Glance downloadable PDFs. Visit the new OLLI Reno News site for all the latest updates and information about schedule changes, pre-registration and more.
Except where additional fees are noted in course descriptions, classes in the Spring 2014 catalog are included in your OLLI $45 annual membership (Sept. 1-Aug. 31) and require no additional payment. Books and supplies are not included in membership fees or scholarships. Please note: If an additional fee is required for a class or an event, make checks payable to the Board of Regents by the deadline listed in the class description. Your cancelled check is your reservation. Reservation checks should be delivered in person to the OLLI office in the Nelson Building. Do NOT send or take reservation checks to the University. The delay caused by mailing your check to the University could result in your missing a chance to reserve a spot.
For all new members, please fill out our membership application. Members are encouraged to attend as many classes as desired and may bring guests for one session each. Special events and tours require reservations and are limited to members only unless specified. Applications are available for guests and new members to join at any time. View and fill out our membership application.
This symbol appears for all special events and tours for which reservations and advance payment are required. Check the catalog description of each event or tour for dates when sign-ups begin.
OLLI Pre-Registration Policies and Procedures
This symbol appears with classes, tours and events for which pre-registration is required but for which no advance payment is required.
• Pre-registration is done solely online here, starting Monday, Jan. 13 at 9 a.m. If you do not have access to a computer, you may ask someone to be your “buddy” and your buddy can pre-register for you. You may also use the computers at OLLI to pre-register for classes (help will be provided). If you are a “buddy” you will need the member’s name (spelled correctly), phone number and class name(s).
• The pre-registration period for spring classes will begin Monday, Jan. 13 at 9 a.m. and end two days before each class begins.
• The pre-registration site will not be activated until Monday, Jan. 13 at 9 a.m. Follow the instructions for pre-registration provided on the site when you pre-register.
• Tours that do not require a fee in advance will also be pre-registered online. Check the description of each tour for the date pre-registration begins. The pre-registration period for all tours begins at 9 a.m. on the date indicated in the tour description.
• The OLLI Reno News site at http://www.ollirenonews.info will post all breaking news announcements about class cancellations or schedule changes, OLLI closures due to inclement weather, and other vital news. A weekly “This Week at OLLI” bulletin is also posted on this site, as well as a monthly calendar of OLLI classes and events. You can subscribe to email or RSS posts from the site for immediate notification of any news announcements.
• Attend the “Showcasing OLLI’s New Websites” class at noon on Wednesday, Jan. 29 to learn more about OLLI communication and online resources.
Attendance in Classes with Pre-Registrations
• High-demand classes require a commitment from those students who pre-register.
• Those who pre-register and do not attend the first class session will have their spaces filled from the waiting list and will lose their spots in the class.
• Out of respect for the instructor/facilitator and other students, after the second session, no new participants will be added to any class requiring pre-registration.
• OLLI is closed on legal holidays observed by the University of Nevada, Reno. Spring 2014 holidays are listed on the OLLI At a Glance calendar.
• If the University is closed due to inclement weather, OLLI will also be closed.
• Information about University closings due to inclement weather is available through local television, radio and Internet news sources and on the University’s main website at http://www.unr.edu.
Location of Classrooms
Unless otherwise noted, classes are held at the University’s off-campus OLLI facility in the Warren Nelson Building, Second Floor, 401 W. Second St., in downtown Reno. Some classes will be held in the Laxalt Auditorium on the ground floor of the Warren Nelson Building. Some classes, as noted in descriptions, will be held at the University’s Redfield Campus, 18600 Wedge Parkway, just off the Mt. Rose Highway in south Reno. (View map.)
Limited parking for the University of Nevada, Reno’s off-campus OLLI facility is located on Second Street or in the City of Reno parking lot just east of the Warren Nelson Building. Parking in the shared city lot is $2 for 12 hours. Annual OLLI parking permits for Aug. 19, 2013-Aug. 15, 2014, may be available for $16. No summer parking permits are available with summer memberships. (Parking in the fenced lot directly in front of the Nelson Building is reserved for those who have a University parking permit. All others will be ticketed.) Parking is free without a permit at Redfield Campus.
Please note: Parking at the Nelson building is limited. There may be times when you will not find a parking space even if you have purchased a parking permit. Please remember you are not allowed to park in the University lot at any time with the City of Reno permit. We encourage you to carpool when you know the OLLI class may have a large attendance. Purchasing a parking permit does not guarantee a parking space.
At a Glance
View/download our OLLI At a Glance PDF >
Request a Catalog
Please contact our OLLI office at (775) 784-8053 or email your request to email@example.com